Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

AMVs

Today I wanted to talk a bit about AMVs. For those who don't know what they are, AMV stands for Anime Music Video and are sometimes referred to as FMVs (Fan Made Videos). Basically it's scenes taken from an anime and put together artistically (or not) to a song or some type of audio other than the original one. For those still confused here's one of my favorites


What I love about AMVs is they can pick you up on those sad days, help you remember a great anime you once watched, and will introduce you to new anime. When I first started (knowingly) watching anime I didn't know where to start. My friends recommended me some popular ones at the time to me but anime is a fast moving genre. Something that was popular one year is not always in the same spot the next. That's where AMVs came in for me... The first time I ever saw an AMV was at my very first anime convention. One of my friends makes AMVs so going to the AMV Contest was a no brainer. After waiting in line for about one hour we got in. At the time my knowledge of anime was extremely limited. I knew Fruits Basket, Lucky Star, Ouran High School Host Club and few others. Not knowing much made me a completely honest judge for each and every AMV, given if I saw one with one of the animes I knew, I tended to like those ones better ;). Anyways, I sat there not wanting to give my score card up just so I could take it home and remember all the new animes I wanted to watch. And I did, we had to leave the contest early so I slipped it into my bag and walked out.

One things that isn't so great about AMVs if you haven't watched the anime is that it can spoil some parts of the anime. I try not to spoil too much for you guys, but let's face it. AMVs look to tell a story and some stories need that big scene to make it awesome and epic! So it all comes down to your decision... Are you willing to possibly take in some spoilers to watch an AMV on that anime?

AMVs are awesome and a great way to broaden your knowledge of the anime out there. I give kudos to anyone who does make AMVs I hope one day I can myself but in my position now that is a no go. For those who do let me know and I will totally check you out and give you an honest review of what I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment